[Qgis-developer] On the fly simplication of point layers

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Mon Jan 20 12:41:14 PST 2014

Hi Alex

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 10:37 PM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com>wrote:

> On 01/20/2014 12:29 PM, Tim Sutton wrote:
> > Ok I guess you can see where I am going to go with this email :-) Is
> there
> > any point to allowing users to simplify point layers? Alvaro, can your
> > remove the point rendering tab in layer properties (and I guess check
> > internally that you are not trying to simplify point layers)? Or is
> there a
> > use case for point simplification that I am not getting?

Yeah I am familiar with clustering (and would love to see it as a feature
in QGIS), but the simplification implementation (as coming in 2.2) is there
to strip vertices from geometries to speed up rendering. I don't think
there is much benefit of having that applied to points (since they are
composed of a single vertex.

Regards

Tim

--
Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net