[Qgis-developer] Multigeom postgis tables display

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Thu Jan 23 22:39:09 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 11:33:21AM -0800, Régis Haubourg wrote:
> Hi, it's not a bug, but it has some drawback in every day's use.
> The 'others' geometry columns are translated to WKT, and are sometimes huge
> geometries. This makes attribute table very slow at last, more often
> unusable. I don't remember well when, but in 1.9, thoses extra columns where
> hidden for some times, and it was really faster.
> Another matter is that the database administrator is forced to creates views
> without those columns. And I am the lazy DBA ;-) that wishes he could avoid
> that ...
> Until now, I haven't had a use case on QGIS side of seeing thoses columns?
> Anyone does?

I haven't had an use either (while I'm full of those tables).
Geometries are usually not something that you want to edit "manually",
especially using a desktop GIS...

But it could be interesting to see if simply displaying less of it
(limit on size, click to expand?) would get the speed back. There would
be the same problem with big values of other data types (think text).

--strk;