[Qgis-developer] Cad-Input for QGIS prototype

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Sun Jan 26 12:23:27 PST 2014

Hi Oliver

Wow that looks awesome!

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 4:08 AM, Olivier Dalang <olivier.dalang at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> Some times ago, on this list, we discussed[1] about real CAD-like input
> for QGIS, and since I do myself long for such a feature very much, I'd like
> to reopen that discussion by *proposing a python prototype*.
>

> I know there are already a few plugins aiming in that direction (CadTools,
> ImprovedPolygonCapturing, NumericalInput and a few other).
> They provide the functionality, but not the ease of use you can find in
> CAD packages.
> One key aspect is that they are all specific tools, and do not work with
> other tools directly.
>

> The prototype is inspired from Archicad's input method which allows to
> combine numeric input with mouse input in a very efficient and flexible
> manner, to get the best of both.
> It is currently very raw and not well tested at all... It also relies on a
> lot of dirty hacks, since the python API is not well suited for this type
> of plugins (have a look at the README on the github page for more details).
>
> *DEMO (video) : https://vimeo.com/85052231 <https://vimeo.com/85052231>*
> *GITHUB (readme, download...) : https://github.com/olivierdalang/CadInput
> <https://github.com/olivierdalang/CadInput>*
>

> Please, tell me what you think :
>
> 1) Concept
> - Does this kind of input seem interesting to you ?

Yes, yes and yes again!

> - How does it fit in a GIS-environment ? Since it comes from a CAD
> environment, maybe it's more suited to designing than digitizing.

Personally I don't think we should narrowly constrain ourselves - if a tool
is broadly useful to get your work done lets not constrain ourselves to
whether it comes from the domain of GIS or CAD.

> 2) API/Core modifications (read
> https://github.com/olivierdalang/CadInput#technical-notes )
> - How do you see the suggested improvements ? Are they feasible ?
> - Does developing this as a python plugin make sense, or does it have to
> be in the core from the start ? (I'm not familiar with core developing)

I don't think it matters too much if it is in C++ or Python. One advantage
of having these tools in C++ then provided to python via SIP is that the
users of languages can benefit from the improvements.

> 3) Collaboration...
> - Is anyone of you currently working on the same topic ?
> - Would anyone have some time/interest in collaborating on this feature ?
>

> 4) Other ideas are welcome !
>

> Thanks for your attention,

This looks really great and I think many people will benefit from these
tools.

Regards

Tim

> Olivier
>

> [1]:
> http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Make-QGIS-interact-with-LibreCAD-td5048565.html
>
> (To those from this discussion I cc'ed, I though you may be interested, I
> hope you don't mind)

Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net