[Qgis-developer] Cad-Input for QGIS prototype

Leyan ouyang.leyan.ml at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 27 15:05:48 PST 2014

On 01/26/2014 10:08 AM, Olivier Dalang wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> Some times ago, on this list, we discussed[1] about real CAD-like
> input for QGIS, and since I do myself long for such a feature very
> much, I'd like to reopen that discussion by *proposing a python
> prototype*.
>

> I know there are already a few plugins aiming in that direction
> (CadTools, ImprovedPolygonCapturing, NumericalInput and a few other).
> They provide the functionality, but not the ease of use you can find
> in CAD packages.
> One key aspect is that they are all specific tools, and do not work
> with other tools directly.
>

> The prototype is inspired from Archicad's input method which allows to
> combine numeric input with mouse input in a very efficient and
> flexible manner, to get the best of both.
> It is currently very raw and not well tested at all... It also relies
> on a lot of dirty hacks, since the python API is not well suited for
> this type of plugins (have a look at the README on the github page for
> more details).
>
> *DEMO (video) : https://vimeo.com/85052231*
> *GITHUB (readme, download...) : https://github.com/olivierdalang/CadInput*
>

> Please, tell me what you think :
>
> 1) Concept
> - Does this kind of input seem interesting to you ?
> - How does it fit in a GIS-environment ? Since it comes from a CAD
> environment, maybe it's more suited to designing than digitizing.
>
> 2) API/Core modifications (read
> https://github.com/olivierdalang/CadInput#technical-notes )
> - How do you see the suggested improvements ? Are they feasible ?
> - Does developing this as a python plugin make sense, or does it have
> to be in the core from the start ? (I'm not familiar with core developing)
>
> 3) Collaboration...
> - Is anyone of you currently working on the same topic ?
> - Would anyone have some time/interest in collaborating on this feature ?
>
> 4) Other ideas are welcome !

That's pretty amazing, a lot of my users are used to CAD software and
want the same kind of input features. I think it should be integrated in
core.

Something interesting would be the ability to measure without actually
adding vertex, so that it is possible for example to start a line
perpendicular to another one and 3 meters from an existing vertex.

Regards,

Leyan