[Qgis-developer] Lidar data into QGIS

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 05:04:48 PST 2014

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 6:55 PM, A Huarte <ahuarte47 at yahoo.es> wrote:
> yes, it can be implemented on renderer level (Martin Dobias propose it) or
> on featureiterator level similar to current simplification classes for line
> and polygons

Personally I do not think we can treat lidar data like with ordinary
vector layer. Using vector layer for point clouds seems like trying to
represent raster data as vector layer with square polygon per raster
cell - it is possible, but very sub-optimal. Also, lots of
functionality in vector layers does not make much sense for point
clouds. I believe the right approach would be to create a new type of
map layer and handle everything there. For a proof of concept, it
could be a new "plugin" layer type.

Regards
Martin