[Qgis-developer] Do we need a single select map tool?

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Tue Jul 1 23:57:12 PDT 2014

+1 for leaving both visible options, but defaulting to rectangle.
If the underlying code is different, then even at the expense of the
extra code required to compute that you have a null-sized rectangle (ie
a point click), you might want to use the same code.

But, especially for a newbie, it will not be intuitive that by clicking
without dragging, the rectangle select will do a point-click select.

I feel the developers must always put the user before the code
simplification.
This because the programmer makes a once-off (big) effort, but there may
be "millions" of users that suffer if the coder simplifies the coding
effort at the expense of user intuitive experience.

My 2c,
Regards,
Zoltan

On 2014/07/01 15:03, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
> My main goal at the moment is to reduce some of the clutter and
> duplicate, or shared behavior, tools that we have.  So setting it as a
> default wouldn't really solve that issue.  I would only remove it from
> the UI, it will still be in the code for the API.
>
> - Nathan
>
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 10:59 PM, Mathieu Pellerin
> <nirvn.asia at gmail.com <mailto:nirvn.asia at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     So maybe we could change the default selection tool to rectangle?
>     One of the first thing I personally always do when using a fresh
>     qgis (with default settings) is to change selection tool to
>     rectangle for the reason Nathan raised this thread.

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za