[Qgis-developer] Navigation toolbar

Jonathan Moules jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk
Wed Jul 2 04:19:39 PDT 2014

Hi Andreas,

On 2 July 2014 08:40, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In addition to the discussion around the selection tool I would like to
> discuss a reduction of buttons in the navigation toolbar. I think it eats
> way too much screen-space by default. I'd like to suggest the following:
>
> 1. get rid of the refresh button. I never use it. If you have to use it,
> than it is a bug in the software.

-1 = Alas there are bugs in QGIS, I do have to use it fairly frequently.
More than many on that toolbar actually.

> 2. Potentially remove the "Zoom to Layer" button. It is available in the
> context menu of the layer and in the "View" menu, should you need it.

3. Potentially remove the "Zoom to native resolution button". I think it is
> good enough if this functionality is available in the "View" menu. Do
> people really use this function? Maybe with raster layers?

+1 Never used it "native resolution" myself from the nav bar. Always right
click on a layer - that would probably be the most logical place to leave
both functions/

4. Potentially combine the touch zoom/and pan tool with the pan tool into a
> single tool. Is there a specific reason why both of these tools are
> available? Doesn't the "Touch zoom and pan" also support pan with the mouse?

+1 I've never been clear what the difference between them is anyway.

> 5. Potentially combine the pan to selected and zoom to selected into a
> drop-down button menu, like we have with the measure or select tool.

+1 seems sensible.

Just my 2p.
Cheers,
Jonathan

--
This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may
contain confidential, sensitive or personal information and should be