[Qgis-developer] Do we need a single select map tool?

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Wed Jul 2 04:38:56 PDT 2014

On 2014/07/02 11:57, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 4:57 PM, Zoltan Szecsei <zoltans at geograph.co.za
> <mailto:zoltans at geograph.co.za>> wrote:
>
>     I feel the developers must always put the user before the code
>     simplification.
>     This because the programmer makes a once-off (big) effort, but
>     there may be "millions" of users that suffer if the coder
>     simplifies the coding effort at the expense of user intuitive
>     experience.
>

> Please don't make the assumption that I would do this.  Especially not
> in this case.  The change is a pure UI driven one and has nothing to
> do with removing code, I would cull all the select tools if I wanted
> to do that :).
>
> - Nathan.

No no - not suggesting that at all - only saying that programming effort
should always be second to user experience/intuitiveness.

I'm swaying a bit towards agreeing with dropping the single select -
also because the cursor does not change, so you might anyway forget what
the last icon was, that you clicked (yes, different issue).

So, may I suggest that we go with it (using "rectangle" for both single
and group select), but that we also change the "hover-popup help" to
indicate the dual usage.

I guess a new user is likely to hover the mouse over the icons, and if
they are told there that "click is single and drag is rectangle select,
they would find that experience sufficient.

Regards,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za