[Qgis-developer] UI Tab placement

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Jul 14 15:32:38 PDT 2014

I was tinkering around with various plugins that have dockable windows
today and realized when you snap 2 content areas into one it makes tabs.
Great, tabs work for switching between things and you don't lose a ton
of space. But then I realized the tabs are counter-intuitively at the
bottom. Not only is this odd in the context of top down UI, but it uses
double the space and the active tab is listed both at the top and the
bottom.

I've heard another common GIS software does tabs this way too, but it
seems at odds with everything else: browswers, email programs, inkscape.
You name it, tabs are at the top.

The extra space is really helpful too, QGIS Browser's biggest limitation
right now seems to be vertical space. You can drag and drop but not if
one folder is off screen. (A different ticket)

If others agree I can file a ticket for this. If it's controversial
could we make it an option to put the tab at the top instead of bottom?

Thanks,
Alex

PS: This is with 2.4, I believe it was the same way in 2.2 but I've only
recently started using a lot of docks (Browser, Processing, etc).