[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-user] Stress about release plans

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 03:01:00 PDT 2014

+1 to what Otto said. Very good point. Those creating training materials
should coordinate and help the core QGIS documentation (both the manual and
the training manual) improve.

> The solution is very simple: Require up to date, accurate documentation
> for all commits of new features. This is one for the PSC.
> After all, what's the point in having tons of features if no-one knows how
> to use them or what they do?
> Will it slow down new feature feature commit? Probably, but I figure
> that's a small price to pay for actually having documentation. And from
> that documentation, universal training materials can be developed much more
> easily.

-1 from me. Features are also  documented by people using them, not just by
the devs. We like to say that you can contribute to open source projects
not just by coding, but if we do that, I don't think we are going to get
many contributions from users, leaving the documentation to be written only
by developers.

I try to keep the Processing documentation up to date, but only documenting
the interface itself and the framework, not the algorithms. That's the
reason why a large part of algorithms in Processing are not documented.
Fortunately, some users have contributed documentation, and they have added
descriptions of several algorithms, but the have done that *after* using
the (hitherto undocumented) algorithm and becoming familiar with it. No one
is going to document something that he cannot use yet.

Let's encourage developers to commit features when they are well
documented, but let's also give some flexibility, since that's not always
going to be possible.

my 2 cents

Cheers
Víctor