[Qgis-developer] Stress about release plans

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Jul 22 04:40:45 PDT 2014

Il 22/07/2014 13:21, Jonathan Moules ha scritto:

> Fair point, but then I'd ask - what would the cost be? Is it not something that can
> be covered by the current sponsorship given that a significant (or maybe just
> significantly vocal ;-) ) portion of the community seems to be interested in it?

simple answer: not. we would need more sponsors and donors for that.

> I've
> tried finding the financials for QGIS but failed; are they online publically available?

the normal way is approaching one of the core developers and asking for a quote; the
issue here is that I'm sure the burden could be shared among several organizations,
but engineering the financial mechanism for this would be tricky.

> And this also goes back to the other questions I asked - how do other Open Source
> projects do it? I know GeoServer has no central pot and a much smaller community yet
> maintains multiple branches (at least 3!).

their funding and development model is quite different, not easy to compare the two
projects.

> Just throwing money at a problem won't necessarily resolve it in the most efficient
> way possible. Knowing where it went wrong last time and how other projects do it
> seems like a logical starting place.

right; IMHO the most simple yet correct way is to hire someone to do the backports
and the release of the bugfix versions. not a trivial task though - it is quite easy
to introduce new bugs while fixing old ones, so no guarantee that blind backporting
actually improves the quality of the package.

thanks for your interest.
all the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu