[Qgis-developer] Loading PostGIS Raster data via "Add PostGIS Layer" menu option

Jorge Arevalo jorgearevalo at libregis.org
Tue Jul 22 07:57:44 PDT 2014

Hello,

I'm a developer of GDAL PostGIS Raster driver, and I'd like to know if it
would be possible to modify the "Add PostGIS Layer" menu option to allow
adding PostGIS Raster data, in addition to the PostGIS data.

Opening the QgsPostgresProvider class definition [1], I see it inherits
from QgsVectorDataProvider. I guess I could make the class also inherit
from QgsRasterDataProvider, like GDAL does [2], but as I don't have any
previous experience developing for QGIS core, I'm probably underestimating
the difficulty (besides, I would also need GUI changes...).

I do have experience developing in C/C++, and developing for GDAL and
PostGIS libraries. So, do you think this could be an affordable task,
without changing a lot of existent code? I'd like this task to be my
"August project"

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,
--