[Qgis-developer] Stress about release plans

Bo Victor Thomsen bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 09:27:12 PDT 2014

Paolo -

Your answer is not rude, but it's not quite correct. My "master plan"
would simply shift 2 months every year from development of new features
to bug-fixing. This alone won't cost any extra resources.  It would
simply give a large time window for bug-fixing/testing/documenting on a
yearly basis.

As it is now there is _no_ version of QGIS that's relatively free of
aggravating bugs (ex. bugs introduced in existing, formerly working
parts of QGIS) . This makes QGIS a "hard sell" in precisely the
organisations that might support/donate to QGIS development. This is my
actual experience when I - as a GIS consultant - tries to get someone to
use QGIS on a large scale as a replacement for either ArcGIS or
MapInfo.  They don't want new fancy features  3 times a year - they want
a yearly stable, relatively bug free version where it possible to add
new features if needed.

It a chicken/egg problem. We need to have some stable, relatively bug
free version of QGIS with predictable (and somewhat slow ) release
cycles before it's acceptable in large organisations (with money to
spend on development/bug fixing). "My" release cycle would give a chance
to remedy some of the problems without extra costs and still give
developers a chance to add new features on a continuing basis.

Regards
Bo Victor Thomsen
Denmark