[Qgis-developer] Stress about release plans

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue Jul 22 10:17:03 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 06:59:35PM +0200, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> On Tue, 22. Jul 2014 at 17:17:43 +0200, Bo Victor Thomsen wrote:
> > Furthermore: Every new release contains - of course - new features and
> > bug fixes. But with the addition of new features you always get some new
> > bugs;  both in the new features but occasionally in some _existing,
> > previously functioning_ part of QGIS.
>
> We had that in 1.7 even without new feature - backported fixes introduced
> new bugs.

With practice backporting care would improve over time :)

> Currently we do three months of development, 1 months of testing and fixing,
> then we releases and start the next development phase.  There is no set plan
> for backporting and/or point/bugfix releases.

I think "no set plan" is a good plan.

But could some policies be defined ?
Like:

 - There shall be a branch available for every Maj.Min release:
   the "stable branch" for that release.

 - Only bugfix commits containing automated testcase shall be accepted
   in any "stable branch". [ this point should be expanded ]

 - Patch-level releases _might_ be cut at any time following
   one week of silence after last backport commit.

Having a policy like the above poses no burden on the developers but
constraints the work of any contributor that wants to push toward
more stable releases.

--strk;

 ()  ASCII ribbon campaign  --  Keep it simple !
 /\  http://strk.keybit.net/rants/ascii_mails.txt