[Qgis-developer] Stress about release plans

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Wed Jul 23 00:20:00 PDT 2014

Il 22/07/2014 21:01, Andrew ha scritto:
>> It a chicken/egg problem. We need to have some stable, relatively bug free
>> version of QGIS with predictable (and somewhat slow ) release cycles before
>> it's acceptable in large organisations (with money to spend on
>> development/bug fixing).
>
> I think this is true, though I dont have experience with large
> organizations.  As a user i would love to have a more stable LTS
> version and if i could i would earmark my donations specifically for
> supporting an LTS and, i think, would contribute more.  But since it

earmarking donations would put a significant additional strain on our time (remember,
nobody pays for the infrastructure, including financial aspects, so it's all
voluntary work). we believe PSC has a sufficient understanding of the project to
allocate our (very limited!) resources in the best interests of QGIS.
in fact, we are asking donors: "trust us, your donations will be handled for the good
of the project", and frankly I believe we've been quite effective on this until now.
having said that, I would like to find a simple way of implementing "preferential
donations" (you vote with your money).

> doesnt exist, i cant help fund it with my small donations.  Also, that
> is something that i might be able to get my work to donate small
> amounts for, though as a small  grant-funded non-profit costs that are
> not directly billable to grants are very hard to pay for.

We can issue receipts for significant donations (no, please don't ask a bill for a 5
€ donation :) ).

All the best, and thanks.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu