[Qgis-developer] Opinions on "best" implementation of color picker dialog?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 03:08:41 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I'm increasingly frustrated by QGIS' current color picker dialog - almost
enough to do something about it! So, I'm wondering if anyone has any
opinions on programs which get this right. There's almost as many variants
of color pickers as there are design programs... I see no reason why we
can't build our own custom one which matches the best of them out there.

In my opinion, the best I've seen is GIMP's design. (see
http://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/html/openSUSE_113/opensuse-apps/images/gimp-color.png
and
http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-dialogs-content.html ) The only thing I think
GIMP's dialog is missing is an alpha channel option. So, I think the
"ultimate" dialog would be something like GIMP's but with an Inkscape-style
alpha slider (see
http://lukast.mediablog.sk/i/colorchoosers/inkscape-color-chooser.png ).

Does anyone else have opinions on this?

Nyall