[Qgis-developer] Plugin site policy

Kari Salovaara kari.salovaara at pp1.inet.fi
Wed Jun 4 01:00:07 PDT 2014

On 06/04/2014 10:31 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
> On 04-06-14 08:55, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>>> Just to make things clear. Am I right that your -1 means that one can submit
>> IMO this would make sense in special cases, e.g. a plugin to connect
>> with local resources only is justified in having a non EN interface.
>> However, I regularly encourage plugin writers to provide a translation,
>> or at least to make it translatable, so it is easy for others to
>> contribute a translation.
> I think we should not force people to do english (although I'm aware
> that we do not have that much approvers for japanese, persian or korean
> plugins :-( ). (The code and comments should be english though)

If plugins are not made in English, there is no possibility to translate
them as it's agreed to happen from English.
One idea could be some tag which marks that plugin has very local nature
so it should not be translated ever.

> I created a dutch UI plugin to make it easy for beginner QGIS users to
> connect to some national OGC services. Personally I could make it
> translatable (but I think not so much non dutch people will be
> interested in this plugin), but I think for a beginning coder it would
> make it harder to code it like that (though the plugin builders now
> alread add it in their boilerplate code...).
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde
> ps: we have 'experimental' and 'normal' plugins now, could we maybe have
> 'experimental', 'normal' and 'first class' plugins? In which first class
> plugins DO have translatable UI etc etc. And follow the guidelines very
> strict. While the normal ones have some slack in that?
Personally I classify all those which cannot be translated to
experimental/not for production.
In this class goes easily also all those which don't have some kind of
documentation.

Cheers,
Kari