[Qgis-developer] Realease and blockers

Vincent Picavet vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Fri Jun 6 05:06:43 PDT 2014

Hi,

Le vendredi 6 juin 2014 13:34:12, Alexander Bruy a écrit :
> > Could we make a more visible RC release on the website, encouraging
> > testing ?
> >
> > I think that our user are not used yet to our new release cycle. We
> > really should educate them, and lower the barrier to RC testing and bug
> > reporting. As for now, even installing the RCs is complicated, so is bug
> > reporting.
>
> We already have a big banner at main page about RC and testing. Seems most
> users don't visit main page too often to notice it.

I tried with a "standard" user yesterday, watching him use the site to get
qgis, and it was still _very_ complicated for him. He expected to click on a
"QGIS 2.4 preview download" button and the download to begin immediatly, which
is far from happening.

Instead, the small RC link leads to a page with a lot of links, he had
difficulties to find the preview release (not knowing what a "release candidate"
is), hesitating with osgeo4w download, then being redirected once again on the
same page, lost in the web page, finally finding a small link to a dull page
listing a lot of files (what the hell is a md5sum file ?? what is this 2.3
version ?? where is the preview ?), of which he finally chose a random exe and
installed it. Even I was totally lost trying to get the right file.

I think we can do much better.

Then it is a matter of advertising the preview at large : official "call for
testing" from qgis project on osgeo mailing lists, twitter, linkedin, and if
possible on a qgis-news mailing list where we have gathered a lot of user
beforehand (with their approval of course).

Vincent