[Qgis-developer] Opinion on plugin named prepair (and possible likes)

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Fri Jun 6 09:54:41 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>
wrote:

> Il 06/06/2014 18:24, Andrea Peri ha scritto:
> > SFCGAL is a real hard to compile piece of software. Use it on qgis mean
> > transformer the qgis in a real hard to compile software .
>
> cgal is packaged in all mayor OSs, AFAIK, so no need to compile it.
> all the best.

Not on Mac. But, there is already a formula in Homebrew, and a new one for
SFCGAL [0,1].

My concern, Mac-wise, is the Boost dependency. Here are the minimal
Pros/Cons:

Pros:

* Adds prepair, which is awesome for repairing polygons.

* Adds Boost, which will offer a very robust framework to new devs, who are
not necessarily adept at Qt developing, for building new core algorithms
and features.

* Could *double* the number of devs working on project. For example, PDAL
and PCL already use Boost, and other 3D/Lidar tools may as well.

Cons:

* Boost is a very large compile and install. Since the Mac QGIS.app is
bundled, the more Boost is used, the more of it needs bundled, possibly
making the base install of QGIS on Mac balloon to over 1+ GB. Maintaining a
smaller internal src tree may be a good solution.

* The more Boost is used within QGIS source (beyond just prepair), then
there is more new devs have to learn to become accustomed to the codebase,
i.e. C++, Qt, and also Boost.

There are probably others; but, adding Boost into the QGIS source mix will
be a large change, IMHO. I think it would ultimately be beneficial.

[0] https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/blob/master/Library/Formula/cgal.rb
[1]
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/blob/master/Library/Formula/sfcgal.rb

Regards,