[Qgis-developer] Opinion on plugin named prepair (and possible likes)

Vincent Picavet vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Tue Jun 10 01:42:42 PDT 2014

Hello,

Would it be possible in any case to have the boost + CGAL dependencies
Optional ?
These two libraries are really long to compile, and can therefore slow down
the development workflow pretty hard.
As for having an internal boost / cgal source tree, there is a strong risk of
divergence beetween the internal and external versions, and it makes bug
reporting and identification much more difficult.

QGIS dependencies begins to be really huge, and this complicates a lot
compilation and deployment.

Is there a chance for prepair to be refactored so that it only use C++/Qt/QGIS
internals ? What part of Boost/CGAL is used in prepair ?

I like the modular approach much better, just as postgresql "stack builder"
does. Having an independant prepair executable tool, which is command-line
driven, can be really interesting for use outside of QGIS. And then it may be
wrapped inside processing for QGIS integration ?

Keeping everything modular is really important Imho, and should not be driven
by packaging issue, which can be sorted otherwise.

Vincent