[Qgis-developer] Vector colours and legend

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr
Wed Jun 18 13:27:22 PDT 2014

Hi,
this is something we have in our roadmap.
We were waiting for the new legend refactoring to start something. I will
also wait 2.4 to be released, in mainly do courses and testing by now.
The first idea is to have a working legend for diagrams both for colors and
size. We also need legend for data defined parameters.. and this is a
completely different approach than classical predefined legend. We still
need to investigate what is possible to do, total automatic on currently
displayed objects, semi automated parsing the whole dataset with manual
modifications.. I also discovered mapserver new legend filtered on displayed
objects..  As said before, we can have so many combinations, with both
continuous expressions on some parameters, conditional expressions, mixed
with several markers in symbols, and with overlapping datadefined parameters
on marker level, and advanced fields on symbol options... can be crazy
unreadable.. or not.
We probably need to remove those overlapping features in GUI, and redesign
the GUI using labeling dialog model (small widgets with colors when
activated) to make room for that new dynamic legend.
So, if some of you have ideas on how to do that in a clean way, help would
be nice. We can start a wiki page if you want to.
Cheers all,
Régis