[Qgis-developer] Four month cycle too fast

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 02:32:17 PDT 2014

I'm not sure I really like the "just make new releases and avoid bug fixe
releases" kind of thinking.  There are some places that can't roll out a
whole new release due to possible bugs from major new features, and given
how fast we move this can cause some real issues.

We don't even have to bug fix until next release just do it for a short (1
month) period after the release, so you're dev cycle is like this:

6 month dev (including ~1 month freeze) -> release -> 1 month post release
freeze -> release a bug fix release if needed -> move on.

This means any bugs that might come up can be fixed, and we patch then we
move on.  There is really no need to make 2.x.5 releases, just one would
normally be enough.

I think the main thing is keeping the bug fix patches small so you don't
affect to much code and is easier to spot where there might be issues.

Packaging for each platform is up to that maintainer but that should be
automated as much as possible really otherwise making releases is too hard.

- Nathan