[Qgis-developer] Four month cycle too fast

kimaidou kimaidou at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 02:49:36 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I really think we are going blind here about the bugfix or not bugfix
release ! At present, it depends completely of the package maintainers. For
example:

* Under Windows : no bugfix
* Under Debian : bug-fixed via branch release-2_2
* Ubuntugis-unstable : not bugfxied
* opensuze : bugfixed I think
* Mac OX : I do not know
etc.
NB: I may be wrong for some, please correct me :)  And please note I really
do not blame any packager. I know time is not a unlimited resource.

I really think it is a pity not to have a bug fix release for some users,
but to have it for others.

I personaly tried the last week to create the build architecture under
Windows 7, and almost suceeded (but still have some build errors..). I
think once you have the architecture set up, it must not be so "manpower
demanding" to run a bash script under Windows, Ubuntu, etc. and create a
bug fix packages (but maybe I am wrong) ?  For example, a Windows build is
created automatically every week. I think the script can be used once every
4 months (or 6 ) to build the bugfix release, for example for release-2_2.

Perhaps we need more documentation on how-to build pacakges for the main
Linux distributions, Mac and Windows. It could be great to have a dedicated
documentation repository on Github about "building QGIS". The INSTALL file
is a good start entry, but does not (yet) describe all the possibilities,
and has no images, etc.
What about having a "packagers squad" for each main OS, and not rely only
on unique volonteers per OS ?

I think the manpower is more lacking about documentation, bugfix release
announce, communication about it, etc.

Michael