[Qgis-developer] Simplify geometry affects $area calculations

Anita Graser anitagraser at gmx.at
Sun Jun 22 06:59:27 PDT 2014

Hi,
I noticed this issue because I had a choropleth map showing population
density (calculated dynamically using "population"/$area). Some of the
polygons changed color when zooming. Simplify geometry, which is
active by default, caused minor changes to the value of $area when
zooming. I think $area should always be calculated from the original
geometry rather than the simplifies one to avoid such issues.
Is this a known problem, or should I open a ticket?
Best wishes,
Anita