[Qgis-developer] Processing: module duplications

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Jun 24 00:23:46 PDT 2014

Il 23/06/2014 19:40, Larry Shaffer ha scritto:

> +1  However, I think the menu items should stay for at least one release. The
> FTools/GDALTools plugins can be dropped and the associated menu items in each menu
> can instead interface with Processing, triggering a call to the appropriate
> algorithm's GUI.
>
> In addition, there could be a non-blocking QgsMessageBar that quickly notifies the
> user that some items in the menus will be going away, and to start using Processing more.
>
> Forcing everyone to immediately switch (by removing those menu items) may be a bit
> harsh. (I can just see all the issue tickets about missing menus.) Also, gives time
> for the docs to catch up with the change, before the menu items are removed.

+1; very sensible approach IMHO. I especially like the idea of leaving the current
menu that will trigger the corresponding Processing module.

Please note however that GDALTools have a high end feature not currently available in
Processing: it produces the actual GDAL command, that can be edited by hand, copied
to a shell, and reused in a bas script. We do have in Processing a similar function
through Python scripting, but it is more complex to understand and use.

All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
Corsi QGIS e PostGIS: http://www.faunalia.eu/training.html