[Qgis-developer] QGIS Crash - Serious problem in 2x

Jorge Tornero - Listas jtorlistas at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 05:34:09 PDT 2014

Hello All,

El 24/06/14 14:02, Matthias Kuhn escribió:
> Doesn't really make sense to me. Graticules are just another reference
> for distances (in degrees in this case) and an alternative or addition
> to scale bars. What problem exactly would the combination of a grid in
> degrees and a scalebar in meters solve?

Well, you should try to think about people which may receive positioning
info in degrees but need to judge distances in "real world" units: on
ships, for instance (sorry but that's my bussiness...). And remember,
always taking into account that the area should be relatively small.

Grid in degrees --> Fast  positioning in the map.
Scale in whichever units but degrees --> Fast estimation of distances,
travel times, speeds.

Of course you shouldn't trust this kinds of map to navigate... but for
practical uses (survey planning (up to some extent), quick info, simple
illustration) they are OK and appreciated.

> No idea.But if there should be proper support for scalebars in meters
> on degree-based maps, then it has to be configurable. And also the two
> different scalebars (horizontal vs. vertical) that you mentioned. Then
> it could be that there is a small enough area that this can be
> considered accurate enough to be useful. And there should be warnings
> to inform the mapper that he might be misleading readers and should
> consider to reproject.

To tell you the truth, in the actual state of the scalebar, all this is
sort of tricky. It would be great to have it properly implemented, as
you suggest. But maybe this maps are seldom used by the majority of QGIS
users and it is not worth the effort and it may perfectly stay as a trick.

Best regards, Jorge