[Qgis-developer] "No symbol" renderer... thoughts?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 05:38:50 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I find I'm often adding layers to a map solely for labelling, and
having to set the symbology for these layers to a 100% transparent
symbol so that the features themselves aren't shown.

This seems rather hacky and inefficient, since QGIS is still rendering
these feature, they just aren't being shown. Consequently, I'd like to
add a better method for having layers with no visible features.

As far as I can see, there's three possible options for this:
- Add a "no symbols" renderer.
- Allow the first symbol layer to be removed, so that a symbol can
have no layers
- Add "no fill"/"no line"/"no marker" symbol layers

What would be the preferred solution, from a design and UX view? I'm
leaning toward the "no symbols" renderer option myself, but thought
I'd seek feedback before digging into this.

Nyall