[Qgis-developer] Buffering/caching/auto-saving vector styles

Ramon Andiñach custard at westnet.com.au
Sat Mar 1 14:32:09 PST 2014

On 01/03/2014, at 20:33 , Zoltan Szecsei wrote:

> Hi All,
> Sorry about the repeat, but Nathan felt I was hijacking his thread. Apologies.
>
> If there are going to be modifications done to styling, please consider adding a feature whereby the various styles chosen or experimented with, are auto-saved for that mapsheet (perhaps in your project files).
> I find when editing, edge-matching or QAing various mapsheets, I want to easily switch between styles - I might choose "single symbol" for the map I am editing, but "rule-based" for the adjoining maps. Rule based choices would change depending on scenarios, so it does not make sense to save a rule-based set (I could end up with too many).
> So, what I am seeking is the ability to switch between the 5 style categories, and not lose the ones I may have set up a few minutes ago. If I close QGIS, and come back to the project later, I would like to see the last styles I had set up for a mapsheet, still be available when I click through the style options.
>

> Hope I'm making myself clear.
> Thanks & regards,
> Zoltan

Hi Zoltan,

This is what I'm currently doing to sort of get this effect. This isn't as complex as yours, but it might help.
For some of the geology maps (say geology.shp) that I work with I normally look at them coloured by rock type. So my styling for maps becomes (geology.qml). Sometimes it's also useful to look at them by other features, say age or formation name, so I'll make some other styles for those (geology_age.qml) and geology_name.qml). The the layer opens up they way I expect, but I can also switch betweeen styles reasonably quickly.

Do the rule change completely? or are they variations? If they're variations then saving still be useful. You might end up with a style files that you used as a road rulesets template and vegetation ruleset template, and then modified these for the job at hand.

-ramon.