[Qgis-developer] Fwd: A pipinstall plugin is possible? First: What's the difference between the the Osgeo4w Shell?

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 02:18:30 PST 2014

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 8:11 PM, Mauro Alberti <alberti.m65 at gmail.com> wrote:

> In my opinion, a much simpler and cleaner approach (at least from the
> point of view of a normal user), would be to allow, in QGis Windows
> (standalone installer), the user not to point to (or not install) an
> internal Python, but to refer to an external installation. For instance, to
> point to a Python installed via Python(x,y), where there is already a
> plenty of modules installed and it is very easy to install/update via
> pip/easy_install and so on.

Windows doesn't ship with any version of Python. Yay Windows!  So we bundle
our own.  I personally don't mind this so much because it's easier to
control the setup if we bundle it.

The main thing here is just including pip and easy_install in all the
windows installs, standalone and osgeo4w.  Jurgen has told me that
easy_install is included in the 64 bit versions but not 32 bit versions. Is
that correct Jurgen?

If pip is included we can easily have plugins tell us what they need and we
can install them.

- Nathan