[Qgis-developer] My God: plugin palette disappeared :(

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Fri Mar 7 14:25:49 PST 2014

Hi

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 3:24 PM, Jeff McKenna
<jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com>wrote:

> On 2014-03-07, 9:07 AM, Tim Sutton wrote:
> >

> > What is a plugin palette? Do you mean the toolbar?
> >
> > Can you provide a screenshot of your running QGIS.
> >
> > Have you tried right clicking on the blank space in the toolbar area and
> > checking if it is enabled.
> >
> > Did you maybe accidentally drag it and drop it somewhere and it is
> > displaying in compressed mode?
> >
> > I'm not sure if your life will be any better in Arc* :-P
> >

> Hi Tim,
>
> You mention something that awoke me here ha.  I teach intro to GIS at a
> local college this term, and of course I am using QGIS (1.8, yes I know
> old, but I am lucky to have anything installed in their locked down
> environment).  The one problem that the students face constantly, and
> the one problem I cannot solve, yet, is when they do something like you
> just mentioned: they drag and drop a dialog somewhere, close it, undock
> it, or I'm not sure what they are doing exactly...and then anytime they
> start GIS on that same machine that dialog is no where to be found (and
> for the life of me I cannot find how to turn it back on for them).  I
> have struggled all term with this.  One example are the Properties
> dialog windows in the Print Composer - students do something it seems to
> close these, and they can never be seen ever again.
>
> I know, maybe this is solved in QGIS 2.2, but I just wanted to give you
> this feedback.  I love QGIS, but this one thing keeps coming back to
> bite me in the butt.  Ha.

In addition to the other responses to this message, you could also prep by
getting your QGIS install into an ideal stage (UI layout wise) and then
close QGIS. Then use regedit and navigate to:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\QuantumGIS

Then right click on that entry in the tree in the left and chose export.

Save the .reg file as RestoreQGISState.reg on the desktop (or similar).

Now when a royal stuff up occurs, the user can just double click that file
(close QGIS first), then open QGIS and it should be restored to default.

See you in CT in July!

Regards

Tim

> Talk soon my friend,
>
> -jeff

Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net