[Qgis-developer] Run stable and master versions of QGIS on Ubuntu

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Tue Mar 11 10:45:07 PDT 2014

Thanx Remi for bringing this up ... I didn't dare to ...

The problem with compiling the dev version imho is, that you will have
to recompile it permanently if you are trying to be of any help with bug
tracking, am I right? (Haven't compiled anything yet, cause I don't get
rid of the knots in my brain)

On the other hand, to use QGIS "professionaly", I need GDAL with FGDB
and MrSID support, so I will have to compile GDAL myself beforehand.
But wanting to use it for work, I better not use the master version but
the stable.

So, as I see it, it would be much better to compile the stable version
and then get the master version for the candies and the testing from
debian-nightly.
But all guidelines propose it the other way round, which I do not really
understand ...

Said this, when I want to compile the stable version instead of the
master, but with a "handmade" GDAL, is there any way to take benefit
from the ubuntugis-unstable repository (things I can install beforehand
and then disabling the repository again)?

As I said, I have knots in my brain on this and never managed to have a
nice and easy environment on Ubuntu as I have with Windows (which is
saaaad....)
Can someone help me with the surgery?

Cheers
Bernd