[Qgis-developer] Problem with GDAL_translate. REST Services, QGIS

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Thu Mar 13 07:51:29 PDT 2014

So I figured I would start here and work my way out...or up. Sorry for
the cross posting. I'm hitting a little bit of everything on this one.
Same action - different results (sorta). This is all of my attempts at
adding a REST Service from ArcGISOnline to QGIS (using GDAL in some cases).

On Ubuntu 12.04 LTS gdal 1.10
This command: gdal_translate
"http://server.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/USA_Topo_Maps/MapServer?f=json&pretty=true"
ESRITopographicLayer.xml -of WMS
Gives me a segmentation fault

On windows 7 OSGEO4w 32 bit installer gdal 1.10.1
This command: gdal_translate
"http://server.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/USA_Topo_Maps/MapServer?f=json&pretty=true"
ESRITopographicLayer.xml -of WMS
Gives me:
ERROR 4: `/vsimem/http_1/file.dat' not recognised as a supported file
format.
ERROR 4: `/tmp/file.dat' not recognised as a supported file format.
GDALOpen failed - 4

In QGIS 2.2  On windows (OSGEo4W installer) python console:
qgis.utils.iface.addRasterLayer("http://server.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/USA_Topo_Maps/MapServer?f=json&pretty=true","raster")
Gives me an error saying /tmp/file.dat is not a recognized format.

On Ubuntu 12.04 QGIS 2.2 Python Console
qgis.utils.iface.addRasterLayer("http://server.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/USA_Topo_Maps/MapServer?f=json&pretty=true","raster")
Crashes QGIS.

Once again my apologies for cross posting. I *think* it's all related. I
think.

Randy

--
Randal Hale, GISP