[Qgis-developer] QGIS server space

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Mar 27 01:33:11 PDT 2014

Eggs in one basket?

Why not load balance 2 servers in different parts of the world?
Bandwidth at OSUOSL is unlimited, hardware is already paid for (It's
raid SAS drives, not cheap hardware).

Sharing people time also helps. I was the only one awake when this issue
came up because I'm in the western US. I'd also rather see SAC and QGIS
admins work together, not just divide into territories.

I got involved with SAC as my way to contribute to QGIS originally, but
now find myself guessing and without the ability to help on the new
servers at all. So I'm all for experimenting with the right balance, and
hope we can collaborate. Part of the point of the shared hosting is that
QGIS server admins benefit all OSGeo projects if there's an incentive to
work together.

I'd prioritize upgrading Redmine and fixing the missing ssh key
management over moving any other sites. That's the site that cause the
most trouble in terms of hosting. Then there's things like CDN/DOS
protection, SPDY optimization, https for all downloads, caching. All
sorts of better ways to spend time than just shuffling static
html/sphinx all over the place.

Thanks,
Alex