[Qgis-developer] Postgis Caching - Enhancement

Bernhard Ströbl bernhard.stroebl at jena.de
Mon Mar 31 23:19:08 PDT 2014

Hi Alex,

we are using a PostGIS database here with several clients connected at
any point in time (geoserver and QGIS users). I am always impressed how
fast QGIS draws even layers with many features and complex rules. Even
when working on my old laptop with a local postgreSQL instance (base
configuration) it is impressively fast. So I would not say that the
PostGIS provider _in general_ is slow (as [1] suggests). Looking at
OpenJump: are there configurations where caching really improves speed?
If I understood the explanations right only those features intersecting
the viewport are cached, so any panning/zooming results in a database
request, too.
Still speed improvements are always welcome, but if a layer is read-only
for one user this does not neccessarily mean that it is read-only for
others, too, so care must be taken when to activate caching. Although
there are definitely layers for which changes cannot be expected during
one QGIS session, so caching (in memory) might improve performance.
Looking at other providers I know that shape files from network drives
are sloooowww. So I would opt for a generic approach that works with any
provider.

my 2 cts

Bernhard