[Qgis-developer] Report bug/feature on homepage

Anita Graser anitagraser at gmx.at
Thu May 1 23:44:24 PDT 2014

My main objections to having a "report bugs" button on the main page:

- I think users who are not too familiar with the workings of open
source projects will be alarmed why we think it necessary to add a
"report bugs" button right next to the "download" button. They want
(the illusion? of) bug-free software (even if there is no such thing).
- I want to avoid cluttering of the homepage.
- I also think Randal has a point when he says that some small hurdle
can help keep the number of not-so-helpful bug reports down.

+1 for top of "get involved" page.

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 7:26 AM, Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the main objection to having it on the main page?
>
> But if that doesn't feel right then I think we should raise it to the top of
> get involved page.
>
> Nathan
>
> On May 2, 2014 3:22 PM, "Anita Graser" <anita.graser.at at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I saw the discussion you had. I would prefer not to add a report bugs
>> button on the first page of qgis.org but we could make it more prominent on
>> get involved.
>> It's not that long since I added the report a bug section to get involved.
>> Many users might only remember the old page.
>> Best wishes
>> Anita
>>
>> On May 2, 2014 1:24 AM, "Nathan Woodrow" <madmanwoo at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> After talking to some users one concern they raised was it was a bit
>>> tricky to get find how to report a bug or feature.  I was thinking it might
>>> be a good idea to have a report bug/feature on the homepage. It would fit
>>> quite nice between the Download and Support
>>>
>>> I am aware that you can just click Get Involved, and scroll to the bottom
>>> but it still feels a bit hidden.
>>>
>>> Does anyone else feel that same way?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Nathan