[Qgis-developer] Spatial Index (QGIS Pyhton) is holey , holly or slippery?

mmekuria sailmcm at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 20:17:52 PDT 2014

I am not sure if there is a hole in the spatial index or a slippery slope
leading it to a wrong conclusion. I am having a problem with the Spatial
Index not finding the geometry very close to it and going and finding other
geometry much farther away. It is not very nice!

What do you think may be the reason for the very holey spatial network
indexing I am encountering. I have a route network that is the source for
the spatial index, and I select a point on a given route by using a point
closest to the geometry I would like to access on a route. The index returns
a completely different route(s) out of the way from the closest one and it
does not even report the nearest one.

This is making me feel foolish. I am using 2.2 version and using Python. I
have used it in C++ and it worked well before. As I mentioned in the
2.2 version of the API to be somewhat different than the code. The nearest
neighbor for the spatial index is out of sync with the QGIS API python docs
and I am not sure if it is the same for C++ (I have compiled on 2.0 and I
have had no problems.)

-----
Maaza Christos, PhD
www.Axumcorp.com