[Qgis-developer] Thoughts on newly added "min-max map unit scale" feature

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Mon May 12 08:58:05 PDT 2014

Hi Nyall

The use-case behind that function was to stop the symbols getting too
big at some point if zooming in. Now if there is a complex symbol with
several symbol layers and a lot of properties, you may just set minimum
/ maximum scale on symbol level.

In case min/max size in mm has to be given, you need to set that for
each property of each symbol layer again. Because each property is
likely to be different in size  (e.g. line width, marker line distance,
marker line marker size, marker line marker outline width, pattern
distance, .....). The notation with the scale is more generic and can
cover everything in one go.

I wonder if it would just be enough to set more descriptive
labels/tooltips to the min/max scale dialog?

Regards,
Marco