[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-user] [ANNOUNCE] 2.3 feature freeze begun

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Fri May 23 19:20:19 PDT 2014

Hi,

I'm definitely more of a user than developer, & have not compiled QGIS now for several years (no need these days - thank you all!!)
I've been using QGIS under various distros of Linux (Mandrake, PCLOS, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora, Mint, etc) since QGIS v0.2, way back when...

I just built a new 32 bit VM of Linux Mint 17 RC (based on Ubuntu Trusty v14.04) , and applied all updates.
Added the Postgres repository (according to instructions):
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ trusty-pgdg main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list'
wget --quiet -O - http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ACCC4CF8.asc | sudo apt-key add -

Added the Ubuntu dev snapshot repository (listed in Jürgen's email) the same way:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb     http://qgis.org/debian-nightly trusty main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list'

Updated the package list:
sudo apt-get update

And then fired up Synaptic to install the software I wanted, which includes (amongst lots of others) Postgres 9.3, Postgis 2.1, QGIS dev (v2.3)

Added my user as a Postgres superuser, created a test db, connected & added a Postgis extension, edited pg_hba.conf to allow trusted access from localhost, reloaded the postgresql service & started QGIS, then connected to my new db.

Everything worked perfectly, & I now have an updateable VM running the dev version of QGIS to test with - including Postgis connection functionality which is critical for me. I concede that this procedure might be a bit daunting for a casual user, but for anyone familiar with Linux, it was just a matter of finding the relevant instructions (and repositories) and going through a normal setup process for installing software apps on a fresh Mint (Ubuntu) install.

Now to load some plugins, data, symbologies, etc & try it out...

My thanks to all those who's work allows people like me to do this stuff, and have it "just work!"

Brent Wood