[Qgis-developer] qgis mapserver

Arnd.Weber at bafg.de Arnd.Weber at bafg.de
Mon May 26 07:50:19 PDT 2014

On our institutes SLES 11 SP3 server I have set up a software environment with most of the open source GIS software available at the moment using "Environment Modules". With a bit of tweaking I got everything to install and run nicely, but with the Qgis mapserver I'm struggeling at the moment. Through zypper I have installed the packages "FastCGI" and "FastCGI-devel" system-wide and QGis 2.2 compiles and installs nicely from sources.

Generally I have been following these descriptions:
http://linfiniti.com/2010/08/qgis-mapserver-a-wms-server-for-the-masses/
http://hub.qgis.org/projects/quantum-gis/wiki/QGIS_Server_Tutorial

I have created a "gis" directory in /srv/www/cgi-bin/, copied a .qgs-file and the qgis_mapserv.fcgi binary to this folder and changed the general settings of apache. When running the browser with "http://localhost/cgi-bin/gis/qgis_mapserv.fcgi?", I get the following reply:

Server error!

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.

Error message:
Premature end of script headers: qgis_mapserv.fcgi

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 500

In the meantime I have recompiled QGis, tried a variety of settings of the apache server, but can't find a solution to my problem. Can anybody give me a hint on my potential mistakes? Are there any apache settings to be changed or is the problem QGis-related as the reply suggests?

Regards
Arnd