[Qgis-developer] Field Calculator "permanence"

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Fri Nov 7 08:33:31 PST 2014

On 07.11.2014 17:25, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What you probably ask for are database triggers combined with storage.
> This is not what virtual fields are for. If they were stored - they
> wouldn't be called virtual ;-)

we could still add materialized virtual fields :-)

> You can do that f.e. with Postgis. With shapefiles not. However, if
> you share the project with the other PC, the virtual fields work fine.
... or use layer -> save as before sharing it. That will make a
permanent copy of the values at the time of saving.

Matthias

> Andreas
>
> On 07.11.2014 17:21, Zoltan Szecsei wrote:
>> Hi Matthias,
>> Thanks for the quick answer.
>> The virtual field acts just like I want it to, except that it does
>> not permanently store the column in the attribute table.
>> I tried getting clever by then adding a second 'Field Calculation' to
>> update the existing 'Sheet' field from the virtual field, but that
>> won't do it either.
>>
>> So, for me there are two shortcomings:
>>
>>  1. To be able to store and recall the 'Expression' and not lose it
>>     after closing the Field Calculator
>>  2. To be able to add the virtual fields that you create, into the
>>     attribute table.
>>  3. (And then of course to re-open the Shape file on another PC and
>>     have these Field Calculations still functional)
>>
>> Any further possibilities I can try?
>>
>> Regards & thanks again,
>> Zoltan
>>

>> On 2014/11/07 18:01, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
>>> Hi Zoltan,
>>>
>>> Since QGIS 2.6 this possibility exists. It is called "Virtual Field".
>>> You must not create the attribute when creating the shapefile. Just open
>>> the field calculator, create a new field in there and check the "virtual
>>> field" checkbox.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Matthias

>> --

>> Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
>> Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
>> GIS and Photogrammetric Services
>>
>> P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.
>>
>> Mobile: +27-83-6004028
>> Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za

Help getting QGIS to the next level of quality before November 15!
http://blog.vitu.ch/10102014-1046/crowdfunding-initiative-automated-testing