[Qgis-developer] QGIS 3.0?

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Sat Nov 8 02:31:07 PST 2014

On 08.11.2014 11:22, Nyall Dawson wrote:

> On 08/11/2014 9:05 pm, "Matthias Kuhn" <matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
> <mailto:matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch>> wrote:
> >

> >  *  Introducing Qt5 support in the QGIS source code does not break
> anything.
> >  *  Your distro actually shipping QGIS {2,3} compiled against Qt5 may
> > break stuff.
> >

> Makes sense now, thanks. However, by Debian removing Qt4, aren't we
> effectively in a situation where users are going to have a qt api
> break forced upon them, regardless of any decisions/actions we can make?
>
> Nyall

In terms of project management it would probably be good to have a
"recommended Qt version". To avoid the situation that certain users are
running the same version of QGIS with Qt4 others with Qt5 and therefore
some plugins work on one platform, some on others.

Debian seems to release at a rate of about 0.5/year, so we still have
more than 2 years to go before we are forced to release a Qt5 version
(we still may do it earlier if we like and we still could decide to have
a WITH_INTERNAL_QT4 CMake option ;) ).

Matthias

--
Help getting QGIS to the next level of quality before November 15!
http://blog.vitu.ch/10102014-1046/crowdfunding-initiative-automated-testing