[Qgis-developer] Composer... current status and the way forward?

Olivier Dalang olivier.dalang at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 12:19:54 PST 2014

I just checked, there's a rich text example for Qt5 :
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qtwidgets-richtext-textedit-example.html

I guess it's also doable with Qt4, since the QTextEdit widget already works
with HTML, but the provided examples are not exactly a wysiwyg editor.
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/examples-richtext.html

However, TinyMCE is also nice, especially since it allows to work easily on
the underlying HTML, so it's even useful for power users. I'd love to give
it a shot but I'm really not enough at ease with C++ to do more than
copy/paste some lines of code.

And about the live templates, the nice thing of overrides is for instance
when you have several thematic maps, and want the same layout for all those
(same map extent, same position of the legend, etc.). You can update all of
those at once. I don't know for you, but I have more than one layout in
almost all of my projects.
A good practice is to have a general master defining the very static
elements (company logo, guides for margins...) in all of your projects, and
several other masters dependent of every project that inherit the general
master (for instance one where you display a big map and a small overview,
one with two maps side by side, ...). This way, you can simply reimport
your company template in the general master, and have all your project's
layout update. Still, you're able to reopen old projects without having
them automatically modified.

Olivier