[Qgis-developer] Virtual Fields - Allow adding fields out of edit mode

Bernhard Ströbl bernhard.stroebl at jena.de
Tue Oct 7 01:06:00 PDT 2014

Hi Matthias,

there seems to be a small bug in the add field stuff: scenario
1) add a virtual field
2) add a permanent field => field is added but marked as virtual
(symbol) and name is that of the virtual field added in step 1) BUG!
3) close and reopen layer properties => field from step 2) is displayed
as it should, so the bug is on the display side only

tested with e5850f3

to your question: I think the current editing-mode behavior is
intuitive. What is not intuitive is that the expression editor can only
be launched when adding a virtual field. I am aware that I can add a
(permanent) field with the field calculator but this whole business is
IMHO not consistent.
This would be consistent:
1) in field calculator if choosing to add a new field offer to make it
virtual or permanent (permanent being default)
2) make add-field dialog be the same no matter if adding a permanent or
virtual field.

regards

Bernhard

__________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus signature database 10522 (20141007) __________