[Qgis-developer] Please stop spamming commit logs!

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 05:12:08 PDT 2014

Honestly. I don't really think it's that big of a deal. If you pay for
something in your time and would like credit for it there are lots of ways
to get credit: blogs, twitters, commit logs, github stats.  If I do
something and I want people to think "oh look a new feature Nathan added"
(or someone else s cool work) I will blog about it, else I just leave it.

We already have a list of contributors on the About box. We can make this
more fancy but that can also turn the whole thing into a game of numbers
and lines committed, and Jurgen will always win ;)

The reality is this:

1) Some companies want to see it for record, or contract.
2) It doesn't pollute the log
3) It's at the bottom so you don't see it unless you do a full log (git log
--oneline if you didn't know you can do that for short log)
4) Does it really matter?
5) The first line is all that really matters
6) I like seeing that X feature at Y point was added/funded by Z company
7) We can pull this information for the website to generate a page

1) and 4) are the most important ones.

I look at the log every day, as with all devs, in short and log form, and
have never once cared about that small bit of text at the end.

- Nathan

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 9:52 PM, Jonathan Moules <J.Moules at hrwallingford.com