[Qgis-developer] Measure tool persistence.

G. Garibaldi digitalmaps at cox.net
Mon Oct 20 07:56:07 PDT 2014

Bug report #9703

The line thickness is good. The endpoints could be improved. Crossmarks
would be better than dots. If dot endpoints are easiest to program, then
put a smaller white dot in the middle of the larger red dot. This will
help measurement accuracy. The most desirable quality of the tool would
be for the markers remain on screen until cleared by the user. This
includes remaining on screen while other commands are selected and new
data entered. This onscreen persistence should also be applied to the
angle measure tool.

With robust CAD tools this would not be an issue because the operator
can quickly draw temporary measure lines on screen and erase them at his
leisure. With QGIS the CAD tool functionality is clumsy and inefficient.
Data point creation with other systems is fast and well developed. Most
CAD systems allow inputting a data point, then drawing the next point
using a relative angle and distance at the keyboard or visually with
onscreen angle and distance display controlled by snap settings. Perhaps
what I'm really asking for is better CAD tool functionality.

I have many *thousands* of points to calculate and enter by hand. Months
worth of work. If I were a programmer perhaps this would not be
necessary. Unfortunately I don't think I have the time to spend a month
or two getting up to speed programming in the QGIS environment, not that
I would not like to. I just spent 7 months learning a foreign language
to translate documents for my project. When the functionality of the
measure tool changed after QGIS 2.1(1.8, 2.1 something like that), and
the measure tool lost its persistence I despaired.

I am pressing for this functionality because I need to finish my project
and put food on the table.

Anyway, this is my project, analyzing ships navigation data:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCWZzqHc8ow

In this project QGIS is merely a tool to develop a better understanding
of historical events. What will really be significant is when QGIS goes
3D and I am able to visualize aircraft and ships data simultaneously in
an animation using the animation plug-in.