[Qgis-developer] [QGIS 2.5.0 MASTER][Linux Mint 64-bit] - Missing Oracle Spatial icon?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Oct 20 12:26:28 PDT 2014

On 19-10-14 16:37, João Gaspar wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I open the recent QGIS master and i don't find the Oracle Spatial icon.
>
> In the Plugin Manager only appears the Oracle Raster in installed plugins.
>
> Can anyone confirm this? Is the same for the other OS?

Hi João,

for Windows I know the Oracle provider is part of the osgeo4w install
(and I think also in the standalone installer, but not 100% sure).

Only if you have this Oracle spatial provider included you will see the
little blue oval meaning the Oracle provider is available.

Most linux repositories do not have the Oracle provider in their QGIS
binaries, probably because of license troubles.

Some time ago with some help of Martin I was able to build QGIS on
Debian with Oracle Spatial provider.

For more info see this thread.

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2014-August/034195.html

My plan is/was to write some a blogpost about it but....

Anyway, some info for now:

You have to register with Oracle and download the instant client
packages, via
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/linuxx86-64soft-092277.html

- instantclient basiclite linux
http://download.oracle.com/otn/linux/instantclient/121020/instantclient-basiclite-linux.x64-12.1.0.2.0.zip

- instantclient sdk linux
http://download.oracle.com/otn/linux/instantclient/121020/instantclient-sdk-linux.x64-12.1.0.2.0.zip

see also instruction from Martin. But unzip those, and then configure
your compile/build with -DWITH_ORACLE=TRUE

for me the magic lines were:

export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/richard/dev/oracle/12.1/instantclient_12_1/libclntsh.so.12.1

 ccmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/richard/apps/qgis/masteroracle/debug··
-DPYTHON_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include/python2.7
-DPYTHON_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpython2.7.so i
-DWITH_ORACLE=TRUE
-DOCI_INCLUDE_DIR=/home/richard/dev/oracle/12.1/instantclient_12_1/sdk/include·
-DOCI_LIBRARY=/home/richard/dev/oracle/12.1/instantclient_12_1/libclntsh.so.12.1
..

And voila, you have your Oracle Spatial icon ;-)

As said, I hope to find some time to do this again and then blog about
it (though I 'lost' my Oracle db, if somebody has a online test db
available, please let me know).

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde