[Qgis-developer] Measure tool persistence.

Alexandre Neto senhor.neto at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 15:22:42 PDT 2014

Hello G. Garibaldi,

Like you,  I'm not a core programmer and therefore I depend on this fellows
goodwill, time and skills to make qgis a better tool for me to use.

With this in mind,  I have to say that you probably would have more success
if, instead of demanding for changes to meet your needs, you kindly asked
for help in the developers or users mailing lists. I bet that there would
be a few people giving suggestions to solve the problem,  without asking
anything in return. This has been working very well for me.

Also, it looks like your work depends on qgis. Not less than qgis depends
on you. So take some time asking yourself what could you do for qgis. If
some new tools are crucial for your work, please consider sponsoring it's
development (Developers also need to put food in their tables).

Now to your problem.

Since you need persistent measure tools, I would suggest you the following
workflow:

- Install "memory layer" and "memory layer saver" plugins (I think the
first one will became core in qgis 2.6);

- Create a new memory layer with lines geometries;

- Label your memory layer using $length in the expression;

- Whenever you need to measure something and keep it for further use, all
you need to do is draw a line in you memory layer instead;

Note 1: This can also be done with areas using a polygons memory layer;

Note 2: You can style the lines to create fancy measuring representations,
for instance by adding some arrows at the end and beginning  of the lines.

Hope this helps,

Alexandre Neto