[Qgis-developer] QEP/RFC sqlite virtual tables

Vincent Picavet vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Wed Oct 29 02:51:03 PDT 2014

Hello,

Le mercredi 29 octobre 2014 08:34:11, Matthias Kuhn a écrit :
[...]
> > limitations. Only power users knowing what is really happening underneath
> > will know what function to use, which is bad in UX terms.
> > A comparison is OGR CSV driver versus CSV plugin... User has to know that
> > both tools are differents, behaves differently with a different
> > providers. Nothing in the GUI let you know that except try-fail
> > approach.
>
> The problem is that we have one proposal which can be available soon
> with lots of functionality and a not-too-hard implementation. But we/I
> lack knowledge if it performs well in every scenario and if it offers
> the possibility to optimize.

The thing is, we cannot forecast everything, and without a working prototype,
we will probably never be able to determine the behaviour for every scenario,
as we probably cannot imagine every scenario at all.

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil."

At some point we need some working code to be able to start iterating over
something real, more than trying to imagine a perfect plan and see nothing
coming at the end.

QEP are there to make sure the global orientation and design is good and is
coherent with the rest of the project. They cannot be fully exhaustive, and
there will probably be other QEP regarding this feature set to enhance and fix
the first implementation.
We could even go back if this approach proves to fail. Failure is progress
too.

Vincent