[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-tr] size of translations, use a distinct repo?

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 06:11:07 PDT 2014

On 29.10.2014 14:06, Werner Macho wrote:

> Good idea,
> if its really translation that causes the growth we should do
> everything to avoid that.
As Jurgen noticed, there are some useless changes in the ts files:

      <message>
-        <location filename="../src/core/qgscontexthelp_texts.cpp"
line="327"/>
+        <location filename="../src/core/qgscontexthelp_texts.cpp"
line="319"/>

if there are lines removed/added in the source file, this will cause
changes in the translation file.
Jurgen suggested to remove these tags "location filename" which would
improve a lot.
> Is there any way to "shrink" the already existing repo?
> At one point I thought about zipping the ts files - but if there is a
> better way .. good!
> I always wondered why the whole translations file has to be changed
> whenever there are only some small changes ..
> moving the translation in it's own github repository: hmm - I don't
> know if thats easily possible.. but I am also willing to try it if it
> helps the source code to stay clean.
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be possible.
git submodules would be pretty useful for this matter.

> But again - anyway to shrink the already existing source code?
As far as I know, you can't shrink existing repo without destroying the
history.