[Qgis-developer] QuickOSM as default plugin for OSM data

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Thu Sep 4 05:36:21 PDT 2014

Hi

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 1:28 , Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>
wrote:
> Il 04/09/2014 13:24, Anita Graser ha scritto:
>>  Hi Matteo,
>>  Thanks for raising this issue! From my (user) perspective, I totally
>>  agree that QuickOSM is much more usable than the current core OSM
>>  functionality (which I cannot get to work properly at all). I cannot
>>  comment on the dev perspective too much though but it does not seem
>>  like the current OSM core plugin is the best technical solution
>>  either.
>
> I also agree that the mainstream solution is not quite usable to me,
> and reducing
> duplications is always good.
> So, if there are no good technical reasons to avoid this, I'd prefer
> to have QuickOSM
> in core, and current functions hidden or removed.
> Thanks.

For me QuickOSM has basic usability issues that should be addressed
before we consider this. e.g. no OK/Cancel/Help buttonbar. Also no
clear button in quick query.

Also in some ways it is even more hard to use than the built in
offering of QGIS - QuickOSM requires detailed domain knowledge of the
OSM schema which novice users simply won't have.

I would like to see a bunch of presets available (like we have for
roads and buildings in InaSAFE - see
http://inasafe.org/en/user-docs/application-help/openstreetmap_downloader.html)
which let you select a feature type and get it downloaded, a qml style
applied and have the layer ready to use in QGIS.

I believe QuickOSM would be a good platform to do this on but in my
mind as it stands it does not yet make a good replacement.

Regards

Tim